First of all, I’d like to thank all of you for entering the Birthday Giveaway!! Many of you entered via email, but unfortunately, I did not include those in picking the winner. The winner is Anisa Tayab – I’ll be contacting you tonight!!
And now, it’s time for a yummy munchie!
The first time I had a macaron was almost three years ago at the Distillery District. I had always thought that macaroon and macaron was the same thing – but it’s SO not! In North America, macaroons are generally made from coconuts. On the other hand, macarons are a confectionery with a filling sandwiched between two meringue “cookies.” I have always loved macaroons but had been excited to try macarons as soon as I laid eyes on some a few years ago.
Petit Thuet is a little place close to my work – which makes it easy for me to slip in and try their yummy flavours. Here’s what I think:
- Size: Most of the macarons are a pretty good size compared to other bakeries
- Variety: On most days, Petit Thuet carries a wide variety of flavours – Hazelnut, Chocolate Coconut, Lemon, Rosewater, Pistachio, Cookies & Cream, Salted Caramel, Chocolate Ganache (I think!), Mango… you get the picture!
- Meringue Cookies: I really like the “cookies” – they are light, airy and not too sweet. I also like that they aren’t too chewy; I’ve had macarons where the cookie is so chewy that it feels like glue! Yuck.
- Overall Flavour: Yummmmm! Most of the flavours are great – not too sweet. The one flavour that I don’t like is the chocolate ganache
- Price: Average – around $2/macaron
- My Favouritest: Hazelnut and Pistachio
- Hoping to Try: Rose water
I’d love to know if you have a go-to Macaron place in the city!